Tuesday, April 17

Large PanPastel Painting Progress I

I started work on this large PanPastel painting last night. I was actually shocked by how much I got done - these PanPastels cover a lot of ground, and quickly - which is nice, since then the creative thought process just flows so smoothly. This piece is 16x20" on Canson art board:

I toned the artboard with a violet watercolour...I honestly don't know
if it added very much to the piece...

I used charcoal to place my lines and work things out.

My first bits of pastel application


Getting quite a bit done...

Desk shot...my pans are starting to look a little 'dirty' here, but they're easily
cleaned with one sweep of a sponge.

..and that's it for the night!


  I took the last picture this morning when I had some better lighting. It's not done yet, but I'm pondering out some problems, and the 'next steps' with it. The big 'blob' of red / orange at the bottom left corner is really bothering me, and sucking life out of the rest of the piece, it's totally unbalanced by it. But not too bad for a couple hours in the evening.

3 comments:

  1. why is it that when i hear pastels my mind thinks crayons??? i feel stupid :P
    are they like watercolours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, no not stupid. Oil pastels would prob be the closest to crayons since they're both waxy. They not like watercolours either. I guess the closest to soft pastels would be chalk. I was reading up on their archival abilities and I guess soft pastels have outlasted paintings in antiquity...don't know much details about that, I'm still a newbie to them myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, no not stupid. Oil pastels would prob be the closest to crayons since they're both waxy. They not like watercolours either. I guess the closest to soft pastels would be chalk. I was reading up on their archival abilities and I guess soft pastels have outlasted paintings in antiquity...don't know much details about that, I'm still a newbie to them myself :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog :)