Saturday, April 6

Painting in Progress: Flowers In Her Hair

 
I started a new mixed media painting the other night, sort of on a whim. I was listening to a song by the Lumineers called, 'Flowers in Your Hair', and just wanted to paint a girl with flowers in her hair. I started off with the standard collaging of papers. I tried to keep majority of the more vivid colours up towards the top and the paler / more neutral colours at the bottom - which bits of each all over to add some harmony. I left the middle blank, as that is where I want her face, and I didn't want to have to be fighting over the textured paper for this one - I want to get her face on the more realistic side than illustrated. This way, there is also a difference in texture in her face to the surrounding, to add interest to the piece and help pull the face from the background.

 
I started drawing out a rough outline of her face with the faber-castell artist pens. I like the india ink, and how it I don't like something, I can quickly wipe it off. I can also 'layer' my drawing - start with a lighter pen, and then go to a darker pen for more definite lines. This face is being drawn just from my imagination. I will be using reference photos to get an idea of where I would want accurate shadow placement, but more now it's a lot of just 'going with the flow'. I also painted the sides (a lovely green) and brought some of that over onto the painting, so when I start working on the background, things will blend and 'melt' into eachother more, and there will not be such a harsh line around the edges. I know a lot of people extend their paintings onto the edges - but I have never been one of those. And, I don't think I ever will be.  I may paint the sides a solid colour, and add texture with washi or stamping, but I will not extend the front picture over the sides. It's just not my method :D

 
I started colouring in her skin tone - starting with just a overall solid midtone. I will be adding shadows and highlights to bring definition to her face. I kept the outlines I wanted for now, but those will mostly be gone by the end of the painting. I also started to colour in her red hair. I choose red, because quite frankly I am obsessed with red hair, hehe! I think dying my own that shade just made me want to use it all the time - it's so fun and vivid. the red hair is why I choose a green shade for the background. They compliment eachother wonderfully.

 
I also added embossing to my painting - yup that's right! My newer love of stamping has snuck it's way into my painting :) I am going to add more of this on my painting, but I think I want it as more of a finishing touch, so this is all I'm putting on for now.

2 comments:

  1. Love seeing the processes behind your work. It's all a mystery to me, so nice to get the low down.......dan't wait to see the finished picture.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started a new mixed media painting the other night, sort of on a whim. I was listening to a song by the Lumineers called, 'Flowers in Your Hair', and just wanted to paint a girl with flowers in her hair. I started off with the standard collaging of papers. I tried to keep majority of the more vivid colours up towards the top and the paler / more neutral colours at the bottom - which bits of each all over to add some harmony. I left the middle blank, as that is where I want her face, and I didn't want to have to be fighting over the textured paper for this one - I want to get her face on the more realistic side than illustrated. This way, there is also a difference in texture in her face to the surrounding, to add interest to the piece and help pull the face from the background.
    Edmonton Painters
    Painters Edmonton

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog :)