- Used sheets of watercolour paper (I'm using 140lb, so that it will hold lots of goodness)
- Cardboard sheets - I used the backing off old watercolour pads.
- Ribbon, or sting
- Decorative paper (optional)
- Gel Medium / Glue
- Ruler / credit card, or some sort of folding tool
- x-acto knife
- Thin screwdriver
- Small Paper Clip
1. Cut your cardboard to size, and make holes in it. I cheated here a little bit, since the backing already had holes on one size. I just sort of traced which holes I wanted to use onto the other piece, so that they matched up perfectly. I use my x-acto knife to cut out the holes on the one side.
|Luckily, one side was done up all nicely for me. I choose five of these holes to use.|
|My handy work with the x-acto knife.|
2. Cover your cardboard pieces with decorative paper. I had some from the Project Life kit that I had ordered earlier. I use gel medium to adhere it, and then smooth out the other side with a credit card.
|Cover it thoroughly and evenly.|
|Using a stiff card - credit card - helps even things out and spread the|
|All of my 'mistake paintings' and scraps|
4. Create holes in your paper. I use a tiny screwdriver to do this.
|Having a piece of cardboard under helps a lot.|
|Make sure everything lines up properly when you're making your holes.|
5. Now it's time to string everything together with your ribbon. I rebend my paper clip to help string through the ribbon. I used the coptic stitch to bind my book. Since this is my first time, I won't even try to explain the process to you. But I used this video on YouTube, and it was very helpful.
|Using some pretty pink ribbon I had around, and had been sitting around for ages|
|Poke the paper clip through first, and then slide the ribbon in and pull through.|
|I'm very impressed with the paper clip. It made using ribbon 100% possible.|
|Be careful not to pull too hard, or else you'll rip the paper.|
|Since it's only for me, I didn't throw out that set, and it's still okay.|
6. When it's all bound and done, I add some glue to the knots that I made just to hold it into place better. Since I used ribbon, it's pretty 'satiny' and so I was worried that it might slip out of itself. This was there's no worries about that.