Monday, March 12

Recipe: Feel Better Soup



James wasn't feeling too good last week, he caught a pretty nasty bug - from who, who knows. He's a paramedic, so - like me - we're always around people who are sick. One night, on my way home he wanted me to pick up some chicken noodle soup. Easy enough, but I thought: he hasn't really been eating much today - or yesterday - since he's been so lethargic. So, he's going to need more nutrition than what a can of soup can give him. So home-made soup it was!

I was also working late that night, and on call so it couldn't be a 100% from scratch sort of soup. But it could be better than what's in a can. The best thing about this recipe - a lot of these things can be left overs from the night before.

Ingredients:
  • 2 boxes of ready-made Chicken Broth  
  • Egg Noodles, handful or so. 
  • Chicken Breasts (2-3), cubed and cooked
  • 1 large carrot, cubed
  • 2 pieces celery, cubed
  • 1 medium potato, cubed
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • Frozen peas, about a handful
  • 2-3 Bay Leaves
  • Oil
  • Spices to taste: Garlic, Oregano, Parsley, Salt and Pepper
Put enough oil to coat the bottom of the pot, and cook the carrots, onions, potatoes and celery. If you are using fresh garlic, throw it in at this point. 

Once the onions are translucent, and the other vegetables - especially the potatoes - are cooked through, or mostly cooked through, add the chicken broth and the cooked chicken. Allow to boil and then simmer, adding spices to your preference and the bay leaves. 

About 10 minutes prior to serving, put in your frozen peas and a handful or so of egg noodles. You don't want to add too much noodles, or else it will absorb all the water and you'll be left with little fluid to actually call this a soup. A good trick to 'preventing' this: add only one of the boxes of broth, and then after the noodles have been cooked add the second box and heat until warm. 

Once everything is cooked through and simmered for awhile, the soup is ready to serve. I like to leave the bay leaves in the leftover soup, so just be careful not to eat them. 

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! This is basically how I make my soup, though I've never added peas or potato... I do like adding shredded napa cabbage or kale or some other greens. And maybe a can of beans (white kidney ones are my fave). And I add A LOT of noodles because they're the best part & prefer a stew/soup over too much broth. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog :)