Tuesday, November 26

DIY Winter Wreath Tutorial: Frosted Succulents and Rustic Burlap


It that time of year, where wreaths are especially seen on doors! There is no reason for you to only have a wreath around the holiday season, and an easy way to ensure your wreath is appropriate throughout the entire winter - is to make a season-themed wreath, instead of a holiday-themed wreath :)


Firstly, you need to gather all your materials. Nothing is worse than starting a project and then having to stop because you don't quite have everything. I used a grapevine wreath pre-made from a craft store for my base. After that - only your creativity is the limit! I decided to use all "fake" items, so that my wreath lasts a little longer, and can withstand the harsh winter elements where I live. I started with bunches of silver dollars, glittered leaves, and pearl and red beaded plants. As well, I purchased a package of "frosted" succulents and some burlap.


Before you begin, just lay all your elements around on the wreath in different combinations until you find one that you really like. Above was one of those combinations - I didn't decide to do this one in particular, but it just demonstrates the thinking process. 


I begin by pulling some of my elements apart. I separate the silver dollars and glittered leaves into two stems - this may require heavy duty wire cutters depending on what you've chosen to use. The beaded plants just ripped apart easily into small stems. I will be tucking those into any area that need more coverage (all the "holes"), as well as around the succulents.


I once again place everything to be sure I'm happy before I attach them to my wreath base. And then I start using my trusty glue-gun to adhere everything very securely to my wreath. Plant bits with long wire stems are trimmed, and then "tucked in" to make them look like they are part of my base.

My order of "layers" on the wreath are silver dollars at the back, then the glittered leaves. Next, I affix the succulents at the bottom in a random order. Lastly, I take the little bits of beaded plants and insert them evenly at the base with the succulents, and a little upward.


Sometimes tucking in the larger parts make their upper component 'pop' forward. This is easily fixed by choosing a part of the stem, that is hidden by other foliage, and gluing it to the base with your glue gun. You may have to hold this until the glue is dry.


I'm going to take a second here to note as well - when you are using grapevine wreaths, they are messy. Please do not do this project on your carpet. A hard, easy to clean surface would be best...or else you may be finding little grits of wreath of some time after.


Next I make myself a burlap bow for my wreath. I thought about just putting it at the top, but there's just so much doing on, I use the burlap as a sort of wreath holder and then attach the bow to that.


I thought about just putting it at the top, but there's just so much doing on, I use the burlap as a sort of wreath holder and then attach the bow to that.


And there we have it! A winter wreath! It takes a little fiddling to place everything together. Remember: always place, take a look and then glue. This project took me about an hour and a half, but I didn't have the heavy duty wire cutters for my foliage, so I spent a lot of time fiddling with those, and trying to tuck the long wires back into the wreath.


The frosted succulents are definitely the star of this wreath! I love that I found them (at Michael's!). 


A little more of a close up of the finished wreath. I love the contrast of the rustic burlap against all the glittery / frosted foliage. 


And the lovely wreath hanging (we haven't taken out out holiday stuff yet, so I couldn't find my wreath hanging to show it on the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog :)