Saturday, July 20

Mosaic Love

Finished frame with photo from our trip to Tobermory
This summer has been hectic - as I have probably mentioned in every post hehe. But last week, I had two days where my Mom was able to leave the farm in between field work (further up north in Ontario) and come down for a visit. One of the things we did was a little 'craft project' - it was super, super hot outside, and so finding something to do inside was indeed called for. She's also a creative person, so it was perfect!

After all the white plaster was dry.
Neither of us have done mosaic work before, so this was completely new territory, and the result has some cracks in the plaster I think because we weren't quite sure what we were doing 100%. But it was fun, and I think the cracks add some character :) I 'mosaic-ed' a wood frame, and my Mom did the top of two little boxes. 


After it was all dry, I added a tint of brown paint to give it a more vintage look to go along with the cracks. I really like how the blue and brown go together.

I love the little 'jewel' tiles that I have on the corners, they take in so much
light and sparkle
This project took lots of concentration and fiddling (as we did not know what we were doing LOL), but I really love the effect of tiles. It's a nice addition to the decor in our house, and it's neat to know that I made it.



It was so fun to try something new and to have a partner to struggle through it with me - mom, thanks! lol. We weren't even set on doing this project when we went to the store for the supplies. Initially I was thinking we'd get a kit to make some bracelets or something, but the store didn't have any of those, so we just wandered until we saw a project to do that wouldn't take too many extra tools. I'm happy with our choice :)

2 comments:

  1. Very cool frame. And what fun that you and your mom could get together to do some shopping and crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Tobermory to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog :)